Cake Batter Muddy Buddies are easy to make and are the perfect treat for any occasion. Cake mix flavor meets crunch—it’s delicious, and the colorful sprinkles make it look so tempting!
About the Cake Batter Muddy Buddies
I’m that adult that goes into an ice cream shop and chooses the typical child flavors, like Superman, cake batter, or cookie dough. They are so delicious, and I will always love them. My love for sweet flavors brought me to the idea for this cake batter muddy buddies recipe.
Muddy buddies, also known as puppy chow, are delicious. With its peanut butter and powdered sugar mixture, it is a classic staple for most. But what about birthdays? What about a party? What about holidays like New Year’s Eve, Christmas, or Easter? What about someone (like me…) who craves flavors like cake batter? All of these questions swirled through my mind as I created these cake batter muddy buddies. You are going to LOVE them! They taste just like cake batter, but with a crunch. These Funfetti muddy buddies make the perfect birthday cake snack mix for a party!
You can’t really go wrong with cake batter, let alone Funfetti cake batter. These cake batter muddy buddies are so quick to make. You need a Funfetti cake mix, white chocolate chips, rice Chex cereal, and sprinkles to easily throw this cake batter puppy chow together.
For a simple, delicious upgrade to classic muddy buddies, these birthday cake muddy buddies swap out the powdered sugar coating for Funfetti cake mix! Together they create the perfect flavor and texture combination. It’s basically eating cake, but it’s quicker, doesn’t need to be baked, and it’s crunchy. Perfect for snacking or tossing into a bowl for a party.
Creating this birthday cake puppy chow recipe has got me thinking about other Chex mix muddy buddies flavors that we can create. I guess we’ll see in the future! In the meantime, enjoy this birthday cake Chex mix or funfetti puppy chow, or birthday cake lovers treat… whatever you want to call it. I just love the good ol’ cake batter flavor! Also, how fast can you say “muddy buddies?” I didn’t realize it was a slight tongue twister until I was talking to my friend about these. I kept mixing the words up after a while. Anyways, let’s get into making them!
Funfetti Muddy Buddies Ingredients
- Funfetti Cake Mix – I used Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix, but you could use any cake mix you would like.
- Powdered Sugar – This coats the chex cereal and white chocolate with delicious sugary cake flavor.
- Chex Cereal – I used Rice Chex, but, you could use whatever Chex cereal you prefer or have on hand.
- White Chocolate Chips – These are used to create a delicious chocolate coating on the Chex mix. They also help the powdered sugar and cake mix stick to the muddy buddies. I used Toll House white chocolate chips.
- Sprinkles – I LOVE sprinkles! I grabbed a large container of jimmies to make sure I had enough. Feel free to add even more or fewer sprinkles. They help add color to the Funfetti aspect.
How to Make the Cake Batter Muddy Buddies Recipe
- Using a large Ziploc bag, mix together the Funfetti cake mix and powdered sugar. Set the bag aside.
- In a large bowl, pour in the Chex cereal.
- In a separate bowl, pour the white chocolate chips in. Microwave the white chocolate chips for 40 seconds. After 40 seconds, stir well. Continue to microwave in 30-second intervals and stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Pour the melted white chocolate chips over the Chex cereal, and stir immediately. Make sure almost all of the Chex pieces are coated in white chocolate.
- Toss in the sprinkles and fold them in. After fully coated, pour the Chex cereal mix into the prepped bag filled with cake mix and powdered sugar. Close the bag tightly and shake until the Chex are covered well.
- Pour the cake batter muddy buddies into a serving bowl, or keep them in an airtight container if you plan on eating them later.
I hope you love this birthday cake puppy chow mix as much as I do! Have fun in the kitchen, and may your apron be a little bit dirty.
Looking for more delicious dessert recipes? Try these:
- Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas
- S’mores Cupcakes
- Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies
- Lemon Greek Yogurt Cake Donuts
Cake Batter Muddy Buddies
Cake Batter Muddy Buddies are easy to make, and are the perfect treat for any occasion. Cake mix flavor but with a crunch, it's delicious, and it looks even better with its sprinkles!
- 5 cups Chex cereal
- 1 3/4 C (11 oz) white chocolate chips
- 1 C funfetti cake mix
- 1/4 C powdered sugar
- 3/4 C sprinkles
- In a Ziploc bag, combine both the funfetti cake mix and powdered sugar together. Set the bag to the side.
- Place the Chex cereal into a bowl. Pour the white chocolate chips into a separate bowl. Microwave the white chocolate chips for 40 seconds. After 40 seconds, stir. Microwave in 30 second intervals and stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted.
- Pour the melted white chocolate chips over the Chex cereal. Coat the Chex cereal until almost all of the Chex have melted white chocolate on them.
- Fold in the sprinkles.
- Pour the Chex cereal mix into the bag filled with cake mix and powdered sugar. Close the bag, and shake until coated well.
- Pour the cake batter muddy buddies into a serving bowl, or keep the in an airtight container.