This recipe is locked and loaded with our favorite ammo; chocolate and peanut butter. Loaded with plenty of peanut butter chips and chocolate candies, these Loaded Peanut Butter Cookies are ready to be fired into your mouth!
To Improve Upon A Classic
Peanut butter cookies are a classic. You almost can’t go wrong with them, especially if you use my Peanut Butter Cookie recipe. I’ve made countless batches of peanut butter cookies and they are always received well.
Kenzie has a particular fondness for mini M&Ms and is determined to add them to everything. Greek yogurt, banana bread, you name it. We were making a batch of peanut butter cookies one day and she suggested we add mini M&Ms and these cookies were born. With the addition of some peanut butter chips, we kept a smooth, strong peanut butter flavor that pairs perfectly with the chocolate crunch of the candies. For a peanut butter extreme cookie, you could use Reese’s Pieces in place of the mini M&Ms.
These cookies stand out against the competition with their multi-colored candy pieces and will guarantee a top-seller at any bake sale. The only problem with these cookies is how easy it is to eat too many and spoil your dinner. Enjoy!
About the Ingredients
- Margarine – Surprisingly, margarine tastes better in these cookies than butter! The moisture balance in margarine is perfect for making the best soft peanut butter cookie. I use Blue Bonnet brand.
- Creamy Peanut Butter – I prefer Creamy Peanut Butter for its smooth texture. You could also use Chunky Peanut Butter!
- Vanilla – Helps round out the peanut butter flavor! I like to use Watkins Baking Vanilla.
- Peanut Butter Chips – adds extra peanut butter flavor and fun texture!
- Mini M&Ms – the star of this cookie! The fun colors and crunchy candy coating make this fun for kids and adults. If you want a super peanut butter experience, try swapping these out for Reese’s Pieces.
Making the Perfect Loaded Peanut Butter Cookies
- Start by creaming the margarine, shortening, brown sugar, and white sugar together. Give them a bit to fully incorporate. This gives a smooth base to start these cookies off with.
- Add the peanut butter. As it mixes, enjoy the peanut buttery smell coming out of the mixer and imagine these going into your mouth in just a few minutes!
- Once the eggs and vanilla are mixed in, add the flour, peanut butter chips, and mini M&Ms. You don’t want to mix too long or the M&Ms will start to break up. Just mix until everything is fully combined.
- Scoop onto the cookie sheets. These are fun as mini cookies or giant cookies! Make sure to top them with peanut butter chips and mini M&Ms before baking so they look extra loaded and decadent!
These Loaded Peanut Butter Cookies are the only way I could think of to make a Classic Peanut Butter Cookie any better. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Looking for more delicious cookie recipes? Try these:
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Irish Butter Perfectly Crisp Shortbread Cookies
- Chocolate Coconut Cookies
- #1 Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Graham Slam Cookies
- ½ C (4 oz) margarine
- ⅓ C (2.2 oz) shortening
- ¾ C (7 oz) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 C (7 oz) white sugar
- 1 ½ C (11 oz) creamy peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 ⅓ C (11 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 ⅔ C(10 oz) peanut butter chips, divided
- 1 ⅔ C (10 oz) mini M&Ms, divided
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream margarine, shortening, and sugars. Add peanut butter and mix. Add eggs and vanilla then mix until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients, then add peanut butter chips and mini M&Ms, reserving ½ C (2 oz) of each for topping. Mix well.
- Using a #30 (2 ½ T) cookie dough scoop, place scoops of cookie dough on parchment-lined cookie sheets. Top equally with reserved peanut butter chips and mini M&Ms. Bake for 8-9 minutes or just until the edges lightly brown.
- Our recipe testing revealed that margarine tastes the best in this recipe. Make sure to use the stick variety, not the tub variety as it contains too much water. We prefer Blue Bonnet brand.