This melt-in-your-mouth dough cradles delicious bites of macadamia nuts and white chocolate. You’ll be craving these White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies even if you’re a milk or dark chocolate person!
If I had to pick one chocolate to eat for the rest of my life, I’d probably pick milk chocolate. But I’d make an exception for these cookies! Sweet white chocolate pairs perfectly with the salty macadamia nuts.
Macadamia nuts can be pricey, but don’t let that scare you. I created this cookie dough specifically to be melt-in-the-mouth delicious and to highlight these buttery, delicious morsels of goodness. The macadamia nuts make such a statement that you only need a few in this White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie. Reserving some to top the cookie before baking makes them look extra decadent.
About the Ingredients
Pennsylvania, where I live, is a great place to find chocolate (looking for a Double Chocolate Cookie? Click here!), but not such a great place to find macadamia nuts. If I can find them, my only option is usually salted and roasted nuts. To compensate for the extra salt from the macadamia nuts, I reduced the amount of salt in this White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie recipe.
My favorite white chocolate to use is Ghirardelli White Chocolate Melting Wafers. In fact, I prefer them for most of my recipes that use white chocolate, like these Marshmallow Sprinkle Crispy Bars. If you have a favorite white chocolate chip, use that. You will most likely be most pleased with the results when you use ingredients you already know you like.
About the White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie Dough
The dough in these White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies is a bit unique in that I wanted the dough to be a tender, flavorful, melt-in-the-mouth cookie. This was actually an early dough development in my quest for the perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Butter and shortening work together to give this dough plenty of flavor with a soft texture. Eliminating one egg white helps the dough to be less crumbly. With the addition of powdered sugar, this cookie holds together without being tough. It is the perfect balance of tender and delicious to compliment the white chocolate and macadamia nuts.
This White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie is worth running around town to find macadamia nuts or even ordering them online. Tell us what you think in the comments below!
- ½ C (3.4 oz) shortening
- ½ C (4 oz) salted butter
- 1 scant C (4.2 oz) powdered sugar
- ½ C (4 oz) brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 C (9 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 C (4.3 oz) roasted and salted macadamia nuts, roughly chopped in halves
- 1 C + 2 T (7 oz) white chocolate wafers, quartered OR white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325*F. Prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper.
- Cream shortening, butter, powdered sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and beat well.
- Add remaining dry ingredients, plus ½ of the macadamia nuts and ⅔ of the white chocolate, and mix till completely combined. Set aside remaining nuts and white chocolate for topping.
- Using a #30 (2 ½ T) or #40 (1 ½ T) cookie dough scoop, place portioned dough a few inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Top each dough ball with a few pieces of chopped white chocolate and macadamia nut halves.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, or until the edges are barely browned.
- Cool completely before storing. Store in a plastic gallon freezer bag. Will stay fresh in the fridge for one week, and up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Don’t over bake this cookie. It will look pale, even when fully baked.