If you’ve ever taken a bite of a brownie and wondered what it was missing, the answer is probably chocolate. No need to wonder that with these Purely Chocolate Brownies! With a rich chocolate brownie base and a fudgy chocolate swirl, they live up to their name and then some!
An Easy Chocolate Fix
These Purely Chocolate Brownies were created with one objective in mind: to be a fudgy brownie that was easy enough to make any time. It certainly is that! The name alone should clue you in to the goodness found in these brownies. They’ve got a fudgy brownie base, a creamy, fudgy chocolate swirl, and chocolate chips. What more could you want?
While I believe any brownie should be good enough to stand alone (maybe with a glass of milk), these also make a fantastic brownie sundae! Top with a little ice cream and sprinkles and you’ve got an easy, delicious dessert. I also love to add a spoonful of peanut butter to the top of these when I need a chocolate peanut butter fix and I’m not feeling like taking the time to make a whole batch of Peanut Butter Brownies.
However you choose to enjoy these, I can pretty much guarantee you’ll be satisfied. This is definitely my go-to basic brownie for any time and it’s sure to become yours, too!
- Salted Butter – salt is essential to dial up the chocolate flavor and salted butter gives a solid foundation!
- Powdered Sugar – Powdered sugar dissolves faster than granulated sugar and lets the fudgy texture shine!
- Cocoa Powder – You can use natural cocoa powder or Dutch-processed cocoa powder here. I’ve used both and they are each delicious!
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – These are used in the fudgy swirl and on top. They add an extra chocolate element with minimal effort! Try milk or dark chocolate chips for a fun change.
About the Purely Chocolate Brownie Components
- Make the Brownie Batter: When mixing the butter, oil, sugars, and cocoa make sure to mix it enough that any clumps of powdered sugar or cocoa get broken up and mixed in. Then add the eggs and vanilla and mix thoroughly. Once you’ve added the flour, stir gently for just long enough to combine everything.
- Make the Fudgy Swirl: To make the fudgy swirl, add the chocolate chips and heavy cream to a microwave-safe bowl. Gently heat until the chocolate chips are melted and it is a smooth texture.
- Add the Chocolate Chips: Add the chocolate chips over top. Use as many or as few as you would like!
Assembling the Purely Chocolate Brownie
- To prepare the pan for baking, line with parchment paper and spray with a little bit of cooking oil. This helps the brownies release cleanly after baking.
- Mix the brownie batter then pour it into the pan. Smooth the top out.
- Once the fudgy swirl mixture is melty, pour it over the brownie batter and swirl it just enough to create a marbled effect.
- To switch it up or change to suit your mood and taste preferences, you could swap out the semi-sweet chocolate chips for milk or dark chocolate chips.
Whenever you are in serious need of a good chocolate fix, these Purely Chocolate Brownies are the cure! I hope you enjoy them!
Looking for more delicious brownie recipes? Try these:
- Dulce de Leche Brownies
- Fudgy Mint Brownies
- Fudge Walnut Brownies
- Frosted Marshmallow Brownies
- Cookie Dough Brownies
- ½ C (4 oz) salted butter, melted
- ½ C (3.8 oz) vegetable oil
- 1 ¾ C (7 oz) powdered sugar
- ¾ C (7 oz) light brown sugar, packed
- ½ C (1.8 oz) cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C minus 2 T (4 oz) all-purpose flour
- ½ C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 ½ C (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 T heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Line a 10x10 or 9x13 pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking oil.
- In a mixing bowl, add melted butter, vegetable oil, powdered sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa. Stir to combine.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix thoroughly. Gently fold in salt and flour until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, gently melt together 1 ½ C semi-sweet chocolate chips and heavy cream. Pour over the top of the batter and swirl through to create a marbled effect. Top with ½ C semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.
- Don’t over-swirl the Fudgy Swirl into the Brownie Batter. Swirl just enough to create a marbled effect without mixing it totally in.