Graham cracker with chocolate! How can you go wrong? All the glory of a s’more, marshmallow optional. These graham cracker cookies highlight the graham flavor which melds into the milk chocolate scrumptiousness.
The Graham Cracker Cookie Beginning
This cookie’s original name is Jake, the Graham Cracker Cookie. It’s the name we sold it under in the cookie shop. Our customers knew it as “The Jake”. Our family still calls it “The Jake.” The original name came about at my kitchen table, years ago. My then 10-year-old daughter, Camry, was watching me create this recipe. She loves s’mores a lot and we both wanted a cookie that would taste more like a s’more without the marshmallows. When I asked her what we should name this new cookie, she responded “Jake!” (She had a playground buddy at school and that was his name).
Wouldn’t it be interesting if we named all cookies like we named humans, hurricanes, streets? It would make for interesting internet searches.
We decided to change its family name for this website, mostly for ease of discovery. I suspected that humans that search for a s’mores type cookie would likely use two names – s’mores cookies recipe, or a graham cracker cookies recipe.
As far as the Graham Slam, some people walked into the cookie shop and always went right to this cookie. These soft graham cracker cookies with chocolate are a “hit the spot” kind of cookie and slams it right out of the park with every bite.
Don’t Over-bake the Cookie!
Please do note that it is important not to over-bake these cookies. Graham crackers are already a baked cracker and as it takes such a large role in the dough, you don’t need the longer bake time of a traditional cookie the same size. This recipe graham cracker cookie is quite easy to mix and bake up. Marshmallows are optional sandwiched between two of these baked cookies, but it stands alone just the way it is (we love both ways).
Graham Cracker Cookie Recipe Ingredients
- Graham Crackers – When mixed into the batter, the crushed graham crackers coat the cookie with a delicious graham flavor. You don’t need to pre-crush the graham into cracker crumbs, as mixing the graham crackers into the the cookie dough will do that naturally. This is quite an easy graham cookies recipe.
- Brown Sugar – Creates a delicious flavor and perfect texture when paired with the white sugar in these cookies with graham crackers.
- Milk Chocolate Chips and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – What’s a s’more inspired cookie without chocolate chips? The blend of chocolate pairs perfectly with the graham cracker crumbs, bringing the s’mores flavor to life, minus the marshmallow. We loved adding marshmallow fluff between two cookies to make a graham cracker cookie sandwich, and you will too if you try it!
How to Make Graham Cracker Cookies
- After preheating the oven, mix the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar together. Add the egg, vanilla, and corn syrup. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients, plus 2/3 C of both the milk chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Reserve one graham cracker and 1/3 cup of each chocolate for topping the graham cracker cookie dough balls.
- No need to crush the graham crackers, as they’ll break as you mix the dough. Mix until combined.
- We use a #30 dough scoop, but feel free to use an ice cream scoop or a tablespoon. #30 scoop translates into 2.4 tablespoons worth of dough.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until the graham cracker pieces begin to lightly brown. You don’t want to over bake these! They can look undone, but really be done. Pull them out at 7 minutes, let them cool a little bit, and check if they need more time. It depends on altitude and correct oven temperature, but for us, 7 minutes is perfect for this graham cookie recipe.
Now that you’ve made this cookie, you are officially in the secret club of the Jake Cookie. Let us know in the comments if you’re Team “Graham Slam” or Team “Jake”! We hope you enjoy these graham cracker crumb cookies!
Looking for more delicious cookie recipes? Try these:
- Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Malted Chocolate Chip Whopper Cookies
- Coconut Lemon Crackle Cookies
- The BEST #1 Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 C (8 oz) salted butter
- 1 C (8 oz) light brown sugar
- ⅓ C (2.5 oz) white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 T corn syrup
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 11 whole (6.6 oz) graham crackers, broken, divided
- 2 C + 3 T (10 oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 C (6 oz) milk chocolate, chopped, divided
- 1 C (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Mix butter and sugars. Add egg, vanilla, and corn syrup. Mix well. Add dry ingredients, plus ⅔ C of each chocolate. Reserve one graham cracker and ⅓ C of each chocolate for topping the dough balls. The graham crackers will break as you mix them in the dough, no need to pre-crush them. Mix until combined.
- Use #30 cookie dough scoop to portion dough onto parchment paper for baking. Top with a few pieces of reserved chocolate. Break the reserved graham cracker into small pieces and place one or two on each dough ball with the chocolate.
- Bake for 7 minutes, or until the graham cracker pieces on top begin to lightly brown (this is a good indicator of when the cookies are done and will help you not to overbake them).
- A chopped milk chocolate bar is our favorite for this recipe, but milk chocolate chips also work.
- This cookie tastes best when it is slightly underbaked.