These Apricot White Chocolate Scones are packed with delicious dried apricots and sweet white chocolate. With a beautiful, sparkly top, the flavors are the perfect indulgent addition to any breakfast or brunch!
Testing Galore and Then Some More
I like dried apricots and thought white chocolate and dried apricots might be good together. It seems there’s a lot of people online who feel the same way.
I remember trying a scone recipe years ago that contained a high proportion of heavy cream. I still remember its awesome mouthfeel. Of course, I scoured my old recipe boxes and it wasn’t there. So I took the recipes that were there and came up with my own that used heavy cream.
The Apricots in the Apricot White Chocolate Scones
Once I created a basic scone, I thought it would be easy to add things to. Nope. I forgot that the natural sugars in dried fruit or chocolates make the dough in cookies spread farther than you think. The same was true for this scone.
It took a bit more testing to get it right, so I didn’t lose the mouthfeel and the scones still held their shape. I wondered if I could add more apricot flavor by melting some jam and spreading it over the baked scone, but it didn’t look appetizing and wasn’t worth doing for flavor.
Just a bit of cream and turbinado sugar added a nice sparkle. I added an extra amount of dried apricots that created a nice balance. The little bits of white chocolate are the perfect hint of sweetness in the apricot white chocolate scone.
This Apricot White Chocolate Scone was so fun to test! My family was probably tired of the ziplock bags of scones on the counter. My granddaughter figured out that good things came in ziplocks and she started tiptoeing and grabbing the bag to pull it off the counter – smart girl.
I hope you enjoy making these and eating them!
Looking for more delicious brunch recipes? Try these:
Apricot White Chocolate Scones
- 1 ¾ C (7.8 oz) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ C (2.3 oz) white sugar
- ¼ + ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 T baking powder
- ½ C (3.8 oz) dried apricots, chopped finely
- ⅓ C (2 oz) white chocolate chips
- 4 T (2 oz) salted butter, melted
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 T heavy cream
- 2 T turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop dried apricots.
- In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add white chocolate chips and dried apricots to flour mixture.
- In a separate bowl or glass measuring cup gently melt butter until just melted. Add lemon juice, vanilla, and very cold cream to the butter and stir. This should look a little chunky.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour the liquids in and fold all together until barely combined. Knead with hands 10 times on parchment paper you will be baking on.
- Form into a 6-7 inch circle and cut into 8 triangles with a very sharp knife.
- Brush cream on the top of each triangle and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 400*F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Store in a covered container.
- To save yourself time and mess, knead and shape dough on parchment you will be baking on.