These simple and easy trail mix peanut butter energy balls are perfect for a nutritious mid-morning or afternoon snack, or to throw at your kids when they are hungry.
Hate picking through your trail mix to find the good stuff? I love a good trail mix, but oftentimes I end up picking through it and only eating what I like. With these trail mix energy balls, I am able to choose all the ingredients I enjoy and then some!
You can change up these Trail Mix Peanut Butter Energy Balls every time you make it for endless variety. You never have to be tired of eating the same thing over and over with so many different add-in options. This recipe allows for different substitutions each time.
Short on Time?
These Trail Mix Energy Balls are quick and easy to make. They are hearty and filling for when you need a snack to tide you over to your next meal, or when you are running late and don’t have time to make breakfast.
A Delicious Snack For Everyone
Enjoy the energy boost you get from this scrumptious snack, as well as the ability to tailor your add-ins to your and/or your children’s taste buds. They will love them and enjoy making them with you! As well, if you’re feeling up for more peanut butter treats around the house, try making our classic Peanut Butter Cookie!
Post in the comments what your favorite add-in combination is!
Some of the Products I Love to Use When Making the Trail Mix Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Mini Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Mini M&M’s
- Flax Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Peanut Butter
- Old Fashioned Oats
- ½ C total of add-ins (see note)
- ⅔ C (6.3 oz) peanut butter, crunchy or creamy
- 1 C (3.4 oz) old fashioned oats
- 2 T honey
- Choose what you would like the ½ C of add-ins to include. I like using craisins and mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, but feel free to add in all options listed above, or use only a few. But it’s ½ C total of add-ins, not ½ C of each ingredient.
- Mix peanut butter, oats, honey, and add-ins together in a bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Roll chilled mixture into bite-sized balls and place in a sealed container. Keep refrigerated.
- Will keep fresh in the fridge for two weeks and in the freezer for three months.
- Add-in ideas: mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate bits, mini M&M’s, raisins, craisins, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, peanuts, etc.
- Lightly oil measuring spoon or cup before adding anything sticky, like peanut butter/honey. This will allow the peanut butter/honey to slide out easily without scraping it out.
- If the mixture is still sticky while trying to roll into balls try wetting hands or wear a pair of disposable gloves to make rolling easier.