I have oatmeal for breakfast everyday… well, I have oatmeal chocolate chip cookies every day, so pretty much the same thing, right?
These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are definitely a “Taste Before Beauty” kind of cookie. Although a little homely on the outside, the inside is chewy and rich. They only get better with time, too, as the oats spread their moisture to the crispy edges and turn the whole cookie into a soft, chewy delight.
This is the perfect oatmeal cookie; lots of flavor, packed with chocolate chips, and a moist, chewy texture. These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies have a hearty chew and give you a reason to eat two. It’s an excellent cookie to include in a kid’s lunchbox or your own for a sweet end to a midday meal. I always feel less guilty eating one of these because they’re packed with whole grain oats.
A Simple Fix to Hard, Dry Oats
Something I have learned in my years of baking is that Mother Nature plays a big factor in a lot of ingredients. When making a pie, I always precook the fruit filling. This removes a large amount of moisture variability and ensures a consistent result.
Oats have natural variations in moisture content, too, although you can’t precook them before adding them to these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies because they would turn gluey and unappealing. Whether it’s due to natural differences in the growing environment, in the processing method, or some other reason, some oats are just drier. To solve this problem, mix the eggs in with the oats when beginning to make this recipe. It gives them just a bit longer to absorb moisture before baking and ensures the cookie will be chewy and moist.
The Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies is Oatmeal-iscious!
These Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies freeze beautifully. In fact, I prefer them after they’ve been frozen and thawed. The brown sugar picks up some extra moisture and this cookie becomes something really special. The oats are the perfect amount of chewy and moist. It’s totally oatmeal-iscious and I really can’t stop at just one.
Let us know in the comments what you think!
Some of the Products I Love to Use When Making the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Light Brown Sugar
- White Sugar
- Table Salt
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Rolled oats
- All-purpose Flour
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 C (8 oz) salted butter
- 1 ½ C (12 oz) light brown sugar
- ½ C (3.5 oz) white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 C (10.2 oz) rolled oats
- 1 ½ C (6.7 oz) all-purpose flour
- 2 C (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together brown sugar, white sugar, and butter.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until completely combined.
- Using a #30 (2 ½ T) cookie dough scoop size, place dough a few inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Press down each dough ball slightly and then top with a few extra chocolate chips.
- Bake 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not over bake. These cookies will set up while cooling.
- Cool completely before storing. Store in an airtight container. Will stay fresh in the fridge for one week, and up to 3 months in the freezer. To thaw, let thaw in their packaging.
- You can include other chocolate candies or dried fruit into the dough if you’d like more variety. (M&Ms, raisins, craisins, etc.)