Fresh lemon juice brightens the creamy filling and a light coating of graham cracker adds just enough graham flavor. A creamy, perfectly balanced New York Cheesecake!
A Real Winner at First Bite
Our home here in Pennsylvania is about a three-hour drive from New York City. I’m a true country girl at heart, but even I have to admit that they make a good cheesecake in the Big Apple!
The first time I had this New York Cheesecake was about 20 years ago when I was undergoing treatment for lymphoma. A friend from my husband’s office stopped by for a quick visit. He knew I loved baking and brought me a newspaper clipping of a cheesecake recipe he loved. I tried it and loved it so much that it remains unaltered to this day! I don’t know where this recipe came from, but I can tell you it’s a winner.
The Secret Ingredient
Using fresh lemon juice makes a huge difference for this New York Cheesecake recipe. It adds just a bit of freshness to a normally heavy dessert and transforms it into a light and creamy slice of heaven. If you want a lemon cheesecake, try adding some lemon zest, in addition to the fresh lemon juice.
I really love graham cracker crust on a no-bake cheesecake, but I found it wasn’t really necessary on this New York Cheesecake. Just the light dusting on the bottom and sides adds a beautiful elegance, plus just enough graham flavor to hit the spot. The cream cheese filling is truly the star of this show!
Baking & Topping Tips
This New York Cheesecake is easy to prepare and can even be frozen for later. I love to make it a week or two in advance for holiday parties or dinner guests. Simply thaw in the fridge when you’re ready to use it.
My favorite toppings for this New York Cheesecake are fresh berries or cherry pie filling. My husband usually pours chocolate sauce on top. I’ve even eaten it plain and it was amazing — although I’m not sure you could really describe something so decadent and delicious as “plain”.
We hope you love this New York Cheesecake. Let us know what your favorite cheesecake toppings are in the comments below!
- 2 T salted butter, softened
- 3-4 T finely crushed graham crackers
- 4 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese
- 2 C (14 oz) white sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ T fresh lemon juice
- 3 T cake flour
- Fresh berries or favorite dessert sauce
- Prepare a 9-inch springform pan by rubbing sides and bottom with the softened butter.
- Dust the buttered pan with the crushed graham cracker crumbs.
Make the cheesecake.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add eggs and fresh lemon juice, mixing until just combined.
- Mix in cake flour till all is combined.
- Pour cheesecake mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325*F for 40 minutes. When finished the center should be slightly wobbly, but not completely wet looking.
- Cool completely before removing from the springform pan. Chill for at least four hours, or overnight, for easier cutting and serving.
- Top with fresh berries or your favorite dessert sauce.